Reminder: Latin America Amateur From Casa De Campo This Week

The event returns after a year off and will offer the winner a spot in The Masters, The Open at St Andrews, The Amateur and the U.S. Amateur.

Two hours will be broadcast daily from Pete Dye’s masterpiece, with live streaming at LAACgolf.com and these outlets across the globe:

ESPN2/ESPNEWS (United States), Fox Sports (Australia), SuperSport (Southern Africa), TSN (Canada), Sky (New Zealand), GolfTV throughout Europe, SBS Golf (Korea) and Sky Sports (United Kingdom). 

All times ET:

First Round Thursday, January 20 12-2 p.m.
Second Round Friday, January 21 12-2 p.m.
Third Round Saturday, January 22 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Final Round Sunday, January 23 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

You can see first round groupings here.

Monty: "There is a one-dimensional quality to it that was never the case back in my day."

GolfDigest.com’s John Huggan talked to Colin Montgomerie about a wide range of topics and since this is a state of the game blog, I’d be remiss in now sharing this which includes some vintage third personspeak. But that should not take away from the essence of what he’s saying:

“And it has gotten worse since then,” he continued. “Not worse. Although that’s me saying that it has. Now they’re hitting wedges. I see them all on the range. There’s 131 of them this week—because I’m 132nd—and they all seem to play the same game and in the same way. There is a one-dimensional quality to it that was never the case back in my day. I know I sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but golf never used to be one-dimensional. It’s not the same now. It’s all about brute force.”

Indeed, like so many of his generation, Monty bemoans the relative lack of nuance and subtlety present in modern-day tour golf. He yearns to see players “holding up” mid-irons against left-to-right breezes, displaying the artistry that has been lost amidst so much science.

“I don’t think ‘peak Monty’ would do as well on this tour as he did when he played here full-time,” he said. “I would have to find a way to add more distance, just to compete. Nick Faldo would be the same. And so would Luke Donald, even more so. Luke holed everything for 18 months and got to World No. 1, which is hugely commendable. But how he did it was never going to be a sustainable formula. Not now anyway. Luke couldn’t survive now. And neither would I. I’d have to adapt. I’d have to become one of those guys on the range hitting the ball the same way as everyone else.”

Telegraph: Stenson Facing Decision On Ryder Cup Captaincy Or Saudi's $30 Million

James Corrigan says Henrik Stenson has been given an ultimatum: take $30 million for the apparently-coming Saudi Golf League fronted by Greg Norman, or the 2023 Ryder Cup captaincy in Rome.

Traditionally the captain is named around this time (just under two years away), and was expected this week in Abu Dhabi. But these are not normal times, as Corrigan notes.

Along with Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau, Stenson has been linked with the SGL, with reports indicating he has been offered $30 million. So will he opt for the Saudi gold or the blue and gold? “It is a heck of a decision,” an inner member of Stenson’s coterie said. “It’s complicated not only by the huge amounts on offer.

“This [captaincy] could be his one and only chance with so many big Europe figures about to come into the picture for future matches. But then, it’s far from guaranteed he will get it this time anyway, with Luke obviously having a strong shout and the case for Karlsson seemingly strengthening by the day.”

Today In Golf's Drive To Survive: Players Will Not Be Paid And Irish Times Columnist Asks If The Netflix People Have Ever Met A PGA Tour Golfer

While we’re a year away from the as yet-unnamed Netflix show tracking the lives of PGA Tour golfers, a few notes, observations and a dissenting view from Ireland:

  • The millennial jubilation over this show’s potential appears based in large part on a key detail from Dylan Dethier’s Golf.com story: a lack of PGA Tour editorial control. Which does make one wonder if there has been any Global Home introspection over just how much joy this gave the only demographic they care about until Gen Z is about to become the obsession?

  • Last week as the names agreeing to appear in the PGA Tour’s Netflix were promoted heavily, I Tweeted that World No. 1 amateur Keita Nakajima’s participation must mean he’s taking advantage of looser USGA/R&A amateur status rules. The answer is no. I heard from a few people directly associated with the project that no player, as far as they know, is going to be compensated for their participation. (Rickie Fowler’s production company is involved so presumably he will see financial reward for his participation.) Given Netflix’s annual spend on content creation—$17 billion in 2021—it’s a bit surprising there nothing, you know, for the effort.

  • Malachy Clerkin of the Irish Times penned a column wondering if the folks at Netflix have “ever met a PGA Tour golfer”, his very nice way of suggesting the sport doesn’t lend itself to producing charisma. A much more diplomatic case is made than say, Walter Simpson’s belief that the more “fatuously vacant the mind is, the better for play. It has been observed that absolute idiots play the steadiest.”

When you’re up close to golfers going about their business, you realise they are exactly as dull as you think they are. That’s not to denigrate them, it’s just the nature of the game. The whole point of golf is to be calm, to expunge all exterior thought, to glide through your round with a plain visage and head that is empty of everything that doesn’t apply to the next shot. Dustin Johnson has earned close $100m in prize money. Now you know how.

Dull and staid is the Valhalla of golf. The very thing that attracts millions of us to the game is the chance to be still, to be at peace, to be at a remove from the ever-going world.

Today In Sportwashing: Bryson Speaks, Andy Murray Says No Way And WSJ's Tough Take On Saudi Arabia

As a sizable herd prepares to descend on Saudi Arabia in a few weeks to cash in and talk league golf with Greg Norman’s pals, there are signs that the Crown Prince’s act is wearing then. Except with autocrat-tolerating pro golfers.

While the potential damage to sportwashing may make those at the Global Home feel better about the likelihood of Saudis failing at disruption, the damage done to the “product” may be just as painful.

Last week Bryson DeChambeau, who has been blowing off press sessions even when he’s endorsed by the tournament sponsor, gladly talked about the Public Investment Fund Saudi International Powered by Softbank Investment Advisers (PIFSIPSIA).

It’s amazing what happens when the fees are paid by folks linked to murder instead of mortgages! From Steve DiMeglio’s item at Golfweek:

“So, not a politician, first off,” he said Thursday in a video conference with the media ahead of next month’s tournament in the Middle East. “I’m a golfer, first and foremost, and I want to play where the best golfers in the world are going to play. And that is the end of the story for me.”

It was the only time DeChambeau was curt and agitated during a 30-minute Zoom call with the media ahead of the Saudi International at Royal Greens Golf and Country Club in King Abdullah Economic City.

This was in sharp contrast to tennis’ Andy Murray who has told his agent he won’t take the Saudi money even after lucrative offers.

“He’s turned down stuff in Saudi and I don’t think he would play there just because of what’s gone on,” the Scotsman's agent, Matt Gentry, was quoted as saying in The Independent.

“If he feels strongly about something regardless, he’s at the stage where he will happily call it out and he will have that debate with people. I don’t think he’s scared to voice his opinion on it.”

That sounds like, what, one golfer? Rory. Anyone else?

And finally, the Wall Street Journal dropped a devastating piece on Saudi Arabia’s pitiful business culture. Even with all of the Public Investment Fund investment in major American companies and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s desire to create Western business friendliness, the murder-orderer can’t resist his dark passenger. While former president Donald Trump seemed cool with this, it sounds like most in business are cooling to the Crown Prince.

From Stephen Kalen and Justin Schenk’s WSJ story that leads by saying the “business environment has grown more hostile and investors are souring on the oil-rich kingdom.” The numbers would agree:

Foreign direct investment into Saudi Arabia was $5.4 billion in 2020, less than half the level of a decade ago and well below the $19 billion that the country had targeted. It was on track to top $6 billion in 2021 based on data through the third quarter. That excludes the $12.4 billion sale of a stake in a Saudi pipeline company to foreign investors.

It seems inefficient autocracies are not conducive to business or human rights.

Prince Mohammed failed to change many of the old deterrents to investment. Then Saudi Arabia added new ones.

The country tried to address a cash crunch by levying retroactive taxes on dozens of large foreign firms. In the past year-and-a-half, companies including Uber, its regional subsidiary Careem, and GE have faced huge tax liabilities and sometimes additional fines when their appeals were rejected.

Tax authorities offered the companies little recourse, prompting the State Department late last year to appeal unsuccessfully to the Saudi government for relief.

Golfers and team members of the world headed to collect checks, cover your eyes:

Investors are also increasingly concerned about their physical safety. While most of the people arrested in Prince Mohammed’s crackdowns on criticism or alleged corruption have been Saudis, some have been foreigners. One foreign businessman said he was detained and tortured after saying publicly that some business laws were unfair.

Another, an American, recently authorized the State Department to disclose relevant information to the media should the person be detained in Saudi Arabia. A second American, seeking to expand his Ohio-based nursing-home operation, was detained on arrival last year in a cramped airport holding cell for three days and deported without explanation.

But never forget: women can eat in restaurants.

Task Force Blues: Kisner Calls Cup Selection Process Too Political

It’s not a huge surprise to read of Kevin Kisner’s frustration over getting passed over in recent Cup Captain’s picks. After stellar play in 2017’s Presidents Cup, Kisner seemed like a wise candidate for Paris the following year. Especially given the likelihood of the European’s narrowing landing areas and nullifying long driving. He was passed over for Royal Melbourne’s 2019 Presidents Cup despite being a strong fit for the course and format. And as he continued to emerge as an incredible match play golfer, culminating in a 2019 WGC match play win, his game was seen as less suited to the (ultimately successful) plan for Whistling Straits: bomb’s away!

Either way Kisner’s no Task Force fan based on comments made in the Subpar podcast hosted by Colt Knost and Drew Stoltz.

From Golf.com’s story by James Colgan detailing Kisner’s gripes:

“I don’t know, man. They don’t like me I, guess,” Kisner told GOLF’s Subpar podcast. “I’ve had the same phone call for about four [Ryder Cups] in a row from about every captain. ‘Man, you were on the team and then you didn’t play well in the playoffs.’ OK, bud.”

If match play resume is part of the criteria, Kisner certainly has an argument. In five starts at the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, between 2016-2021, he’s 16-6-2, including a victory at the event in 2019.

And then he really let ‘er rip…

“I don’t know. I didn’t give a s—,” he said. “It’s too political for me, I didn’t really care, and I don’t really get caught up in that s—. I love Stricker to death, but he didn’t pick me this year, which I get — I didn’t play worth a s— in the playoff.”

2022's Major Venues: Ranking The Intrigue Factor

The Quadrilateral has lumped the nine men’s and women’s major venues of 2022 into one package and done what any self-respecting publication would do: rank them. I should probably also rank where this year ranks on the list of great venue years but one ranking is enough for now. Too many exciting venues sporting shiny new paint jobs to celebrate!

This entire list is for ambassadors of the newsletter, but you can get a preview of what it looks like here.

And subscription info/links can be found here.

Twitter Manspat: Murray v. Na, Sony Open Slow Play Edition

I know what you’re thinking. Who is Grayson Murray? Didn’t he leave Twitter? Has Tour status of some kind? Took time away from pimping the shallowest of MAGA tropes on the range of Trump Jupiter and sharing predictable anti-vaccine grievances while Tweeting at Lebron? Oh and providing updates on his post-rehab monster back tat?

Well, he got some much-desired attention for his special brand of buffoonery in taking a jab at Kevin Na’s slow play. Na heads into the Sony Open weekend seven back of 36-hole leader Russell Henley and is, indeed slow.

Here is Twitter manspat in all of its early season glory below, at least until the deletes start flying (Murray already took one down). But please, guys, save some of this for Netflix!

Bryson On Why He Passed On The Netflix Opportunity

Promoting the upcoming PIFSIPSIA in Saudi Arabia, Bryson DeChambeau explained why he passed on participating on the Netflix docuseries expected next year.

I thought the answer was interesting in the assertion that the deal was not “very well for my side of it,” meaning there was no money and besides having his own YouTube channel with occasional behind-the-scenes looks, this regarding his peers. From GolfChannel.com’s Ryan Lavner:

As for those players who are slated to appear (a full list can be found here), DeChambeau said, “There’s a lot of great people on there. If I was to go on there, yeah, it would be cool to see, but I feel like there’s a lot more interesting stories. You’ve got Harry Higgs. You’ve got numerous others. I don’t want to take the light away from them for their potential to grow themselves in a manner that’s unique to them. They have the opportunity to grow a lot more than I do in that regard.”

Shirtless Shark To Get The 30 For 30 Treatment

Quad subscribers know from the latest edition that I remain mystified by the Lakers’ 33-game win streak not rising to the level of full-production, full-NBA cooperation status for a documentary. But it seems the Shirtless Shark is!

Thanks to reader JM for Ben Koo’s Awful Announcing report on producer Connor Schell and director Jason Hehir tackling at Norman “30 For 30”.

A little over two years ago, we wrote about Connor Schell leaving ESPN to start his own production company. This week, tucked away in a Variety article with updates on Schell’s production company that included news of some key hires (more on that later) and projects, was a very noteworthy nugget.

Schell and Geist will continue a relationship with ESPN and produce “30 for 30” installments. Currently the studio is at work with [director Jason] Hehir on a “30 for 30” about professional golfer Greg Norman titled “Shark.”

Hope they are ready for some last minute updates depending on how the whole LIV Golf Investments thing works out.

Fried Egg: Donald Ross's East Lake To Get New Set Of Eyes, Master Plan

The home of the Tour Championship may be in for a refresh and restoration after architect Andrew Green has been hired to create a master plan. Sounds like two more TC’s with the current Rees Jones interpretation of Donald Ross before we see substantial improvements. Developing…

"Looking back to move forward - Britain’s restoration opportunities"

UK Golf Guy David Jones queried a range of people, yours truly included, about restoration and what classic British courses could use some dusting off and light sprucing.

In contrast, British projects are a little less high profile. There are some exceptions, such as at Woodhall Spa, Moortown and ongoing work at The Addington, but relatively few of the really classic British courses have been touched.

Clubs may be put off by the extravagant sound of a ‘restoration’, and indeed some of the budgets in the US are truly mind-boggling. Upcoming work at Yale is said to be costing $25 million. 

Dai Thomas makes the point that a multi-million pound budget isn’t necessarily needed to make significant changes. He say, ‘What many courses need in the first instance is comprehensive tree removal and wider mowing lines. Mowing line work doesn’t really cost much if anything. Tree removal usually does cost quite a bit but once done makes a huge difference’.

Check out what the experts nominated here.

Player Commitments, Timeline And Major Buy-In For PGA Tour's Netflix Entry

Dylan Dethier of Golf.com had the most details on Wednesday’s news surrounding golf’s Drive To Success clone green lit by Netflix.

While it’ll get the PGA Tour headlines, production has barely begun. So as I noted in The Quadrilateral, there are several surprises, including the buy-in from the Five Families. Or that so many players committed and so much information is being shared with so little “in the can”.

Dethier said the first interviews just occurred and we probably can’t expect the docuseries for a year. And there was this on editorial control:

“We do not have editorial control,” a Tour spokesperson said. “We will be involved to the extent that Netflix and the producers have the access they need to film at our events. We want them to make a great show, and we all agree the documentary needs to be as authentic as possible.”

The enthusiasm of Tour commissioner Jay Monahan has been crucial in getting to this point. People familiar with the process were impressed with his open-mindedness and that he became a crucial voice in bringing the project to market.

“Everything that I’ve experienced so far is that the Tour is fully invested in making the realest possible reality,” said one source close to negotiations.

Open-mindedness=ok with F bombs as long as they’re on Netflix.

Again, it’s a long ways off…

While both Netflix and the Tour declined to comment on an official release date, filming will continue through the end of the FedEx Cup Playoffs, wrapping with the Tour Championship at the end of August. Following the model of Drive to Survive, the show’s first episodes will likely be released as hype builds for the following Tour season in early 2023. In other words, golf fans may not see any of this footage for another year. They’ll hope the show is worth waiting for.

Players committed to the project as Tweeted by the Tour: